Weekend in Kingman, AZ and Las Vegas, NV

It has been an incredible (and an incredibly HOT 🔥) weekend! Kingman, AZ, with temps at 112 degrees and Las Vegas, NV with 122 degrees!! I have never ridden in such heat! I described it on Facebook... Riding a motorcycle in this heat is like riding a lava flow in a convection oven through the armpit of hell. Keep in mind that my bike is "air cooled" which means, hot air don't help too much! Glad the Harleys are tough!! The bike performed very well... only praises for the Road King! However, I did stop in Henderson at the Harley dealership and bought a cooling vest. It works wonders... You wet it down and wear it under a mesh riding jacket and it acts as a "swamp cooler." The heat was beat!

The first stop on the way to Boulder City and Vegas yesterday 7/15 was of course, Hoover Dam (aka Boulder Dam), put up in 1933 in the Black Canyon of the Colorado river on the boarder of Arizona and Nevada. It was a magnificent site. It took 6 years to build it (1931-1936) at a cost of $49 million and over 100 lives during the Great Depression. Though it cost was high the benefit was power, flood control, water storage, and recreation. Today, with the rising costs of fossil fuel, it's benefits are intact. The lake Mead recreation area is awesome as well. 

 

I am so glad I made this trip, it gave me the opportunity to get together with some folks that I hadn't seen in a very long time. Short Story: When I was 16 (rising Junior in HS), I met a girl while camping at Yosemite National Park with my parents. Her name was Beth and she had a friend camping with her named Susan. The couple of days we were there, we became fast friends, played card games late at night and had a wonderful time. When it was time to go, we exchanged addresses and phone numbers and exchanged cards and letters and phone calls well into our college years. We lost touch after both of us had some rocky relationships, but reconnected through the wonders of social media! I got to see Beth again after 35 years and I got to meet her husband, Anthony! It was fantastic to have lunch with them in Boulder City, NV.

 
After I left Boulder City, I rode into Vegas to see some of my "distant" family. I knew we were related, but I needed to figure out how. After Val Martini and I sat down and talked it over, I figured out that she was my 2nd Cousin - 1x removed. She is my grandmother's aunt's granddaughter to make it more confusing. We probably haven't seen each other in 40 years. My family may be spread out all over the place, but we are close. We may be "distant," but we can get on common ground very quickly. Dinner with Val & her husband Dale was a real treat. I am glad I was able to beat the heat and make it to Vegas on Saturday.

 
Sunday 7/16 was a NO RIDE day. After the heat of Vegas, I was glad to take it easy and rest... I did, however, find a quaint Episcopal Church (Trinity, nonetheless) in Kingman, AZ. It was a fine service with about 60 in attendance. I was greeted and received warmly. The service was a standard Rite II Eucharist. I noticed, however, that I never saw a plate come around for the offering... If it passed me, I'm not sure why I missed it. I spoke with some of the parishioners, the priest and the deacon after the service. I went back to the hotel, did laundry and cleaned up my bike for the trek into California tomorrow! I can't believe it's almost the end of Route 66!


Sometimes it's tough to weather the 120 degree heat for 100 miles and see some friends and family that you haven't seen in 35+ years, but you make the sacrifice and it's worth it... Sometimes, you need a Dam and the economy is in the tank, but you make the sacrifice and it's worth it...  Today, I am thinking about the sacrifice of being and doing church. Sometimes it's difficult to get motivated and go on Sunday morning, I get that... But you make the sacrifice and it's worth it. You may not know how, right now, but it is. The things we do in church are not for "instant" gratification. They have the lasting effects that are good for your soul. So, you may not see the immediate benefit, but you will know it in the long run. We are beckoned by scripture to worship God, not necessarily for God's sake, but for ours. Our worship changes us, molds us, and prepares us to face life and all the challenges life presents. I didn't have to go through the desert to see Beth and Val, but I'm a better person for it... I didn't have to get up and go to church this morning, but I feel refreshed and renewed, filled with the grace of God, and ready to continue the journey ahead.




Challenge to Self: Look for those small inconvenient sacrifices, and make them to make a difference.

Challenge to Trinity: Don't let the world keep you from tending to your soul. The sacrifice (or struggle) you go through sometimes to go worship is worth it. You may not know it now, but it will be there for you in the future. Set the example for your family and show up! 



Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)