I Have Arrived at End of Route 66!

I feels a bit surreal, having completed 2,400+ miles of the "first" route west from Chicago to Santa Monica. Riding out onto the Santa Monica Pier was a feeling of exhilaration and fulfillment! The road reavealed to me much more than I thought it would. It was truly an icon, showing me something more profound through it. I was glad to be able to travel Route 66.
When I arrived in Santa Monica, another connection from my past was waiting for me. Bob Motamedi and I went to Frederick Military Academy together and graduated in 1985. We ate dinner together and caught up from the 32 year gap since we have seen each other. After dinner, Bob walked me back to the bike, where I realized that a 3 year old battery and the heat and stress of the desert don't get along too well. After calls to AMA and HOG, we figured that it would be good to try a local parts place. We found one open till 9pm! They were able to bring me a battery. Because it was late, Bob invited me to stay with him, so I ended up forgoing my reservation to camp at Malibu Creek State Park.
Today my thoughts are on thankfulness, thankfulness to God for letting me arrive safe at literally the "end of the road," and thankfulness for old friends like Bob who didn't abandon me on the pier at Santa Monica after my bike wouldn't start. In the scriptures, we are encouraged to "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:18) Sometimes, we have more reason to "give thanks" than others. For me, this is one of those times!


Challenge to Self: Always remember to be thankful... And not just "be thankful" but show thankfulness.

Challenge to Trinity: Consider what you are thankful for, then show it. Say thank you or give an encouraging word to a friend or family. Reciprocate with  generosity and blessings.

Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)