To Albuquerque, NM via the Santa Fe Loop

Yesterday's ride was awesome. I reached a milestone! - made the 1/2 way (mid-point) at Adrian, TX. For Route 66, this means I'm 1/2 done (or 1/2 started the mother road!). Still not too warm, but I can tell the landscape terrain and the climate is changing, as well as the elevation. Lots of buttes and hills as well as flat stretches. Things are getting a bit dryer! I stayed overnight at Santa Rosa, NM and witnessed my first western sunset in a long time! It was absolutely beautiful.
Today I contemplated going straight into Albuquerque, NM, weaving in and out of the frontage ways of I-40, on the post 1937 Route 66, but decided to trek into the old historic city of Santa Fe, NM. For Route 66, this is "the OLD ROAD" portion the Old Route 66 (1926-1937) up through Sante Fe, New Mexico (aka the Santa Fe Loop). Much of the original road is dirt, and impassable... and much of it runs on what is now private property. Nonetheless, the Route is still there (replaced by Route 84 and I-85). The oldest portions are difficult to access. Tonight I stay in Albuquerque, NM (hmmm... maybe I should make that left turn?) Albuquerque's portion of Route 66 is a bit torn up... lots of construction!



This got me thinking about accessibility, and how churches are (or arn't) always easy to "get into" for new folks. People may be searching for points of access (like I am for most of Route 66), but are unable because of historical barriers. These barriers could be physical or psychological... they could be spiritual or sociological. They exist. If you don't realize they exist, look a little closer! Folks come to a place of worship looking for many things. They are looking for connection to other believers. They are looking for sources of education that will enrich their Christian lives. But most importantly, they are looking for a way to connect with God and figure out what that means for their life. As churches, we should remain accessible to those looking for that connection! 

In his ministry, Jesus was always accessible. He was often called out for hanging out with the "wrong crowd" or letting little children come to him while he was teaching. But he didn't tell anyone they were not welcome. He didn't say to them, "you're not from here" or "you're not old enough" or "you're not worthy." He said, "come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28 ESV) and "let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such as these belongs the kingdom of God" (Matthew 19:14). How accessible are you? How accessible are we?



Challenge to Self: Remain accessible! I have always tried to remain accessible throughout my ministry (I know some colleagues who are not!). I hope to remain accessible, offering connection to God any way that I can. I hope to continue to look for ways that offer God's redeeming love to all.

Challenge to Trinity: Look for ways in our community that we can become more accessible to those who are looking for a connection. What are we, as a church community, doing to offer that connection? Are we living in a way that is inclusive or exclusive? 

Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)