Amarillo by Morning 🎶

Well, maybe Amarillo by mid-afternoon! (Love the song! 🎵🎶) Today (7/10), I set out for Amarillo, Texas. It's hard to believe how far I've come in just a short week on Route 66. I've only been riding 5 out of the last 6 days since I picked up 66 in Chicago after leaving Kenny & Tania Miller's on July 5th. I've covered over 1,000 miles. The ride has been great! It has been confusing at times but great... As long as I study the map and read the guide book, all is well.

I left this morning energized by the weekend with Bill & Barbara Fankhauser. It was a really great time. Also, the opportunity to connect with Bill Carroll was super, too. I hope it's not too long before I get to see all of them again.


There is always lots to see on the road. Especially when you ride a motorcycle. I believe that you notice more because you are hyper-aware when riding. If you're not, you could crash. Constant attention demands all faculties focused on the road. Sometimes it's difficult because the signs are not helpful... Route 66 was officially removed as a US Route in June of 1985 after almost 60 years in service. In the past 30 years much of the unmaintained roads that are no longer used have deteriorated and abandoned or closed. Other portions are frontage roads to the Interstate Highway. Sometimes the highway overlays the actual road bed of the original road. Other times, it completely deviates from the highway on goes into a small town.

What caught my interest today is these towns that have changed since the interstate system has been put in. Even though Route 66 isn't really a road anymore (biting my tongue), some of the small towns have found a way to keep tourism and commerce alive with people like me that wanted to drive the historical route. The road is real, it's alive, and it's relevant to these towns... for some of the towns, Route 66 is all they have.

Churches have changed over the years, much like the road, the people have abandoned it for the super highway. They are getting their philanthropic, philosophic, and spiritual fix in other ways. However, Church remains relevant, alive, and real to those who engage it, learn from and connect with it. It isn't just another fix... it's a connection to God, and to the divine presence in all of us. Jesus cautions us about the "Broad road that leads to distruction" (Matthew 7:13 NIV). Now, I'm not being literal here, talking about roads, but I couldn't help but think about what this "broad road" is...

Literally, for me, the "broad road" is the interstate! ☹️ Fun on motorcycles for about 10 to 15 minutes when you get open the trottle and feel the horses kick in. After that it just empty, boring, road drone. However, the narrow road (like Route 66) have some twists and turns, some sights to see, some places to visit, some enrichment to offer. I really believe that this relates to what Jesus was saying... The big road is only interested in one thing - destination. Getting from point A to point B. However, the other routes (not so broad) are full of things that will bring you life. You will still get to where you are going, and it may take you a little longer, but you will grow in the process.




Challenge to Self: Don't look for the quick fix. Look for the formational solution that will help myself and those around me grow.

Challenge to Trinity: Are we looking for the narrow path that will bring us life and love with God or are we looking for that super highway express lane that will just get us to heaven - when it will actually end up to be a path of distruction. 


Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)