Bucket List - Route 66

Yesterday, I began a journey that has been on my bucket list for several years... to travel (by motorcycle) the Iconic/Historic Route 66 from Chicago to California. I left Mequon, WI, where I spent the 4th of July holiday with the Millers and traveled south to Chicago to start at the beginning of the Route. It begins (although contested) at Michigan Ave and Adams Street, downtown Chicago, IL. Thank goodness, traffic wasn't horrible. 

I'm a bit of a purist, so it is important to me to start at the beginning and follow where the Route takes me. This includes all the little side roads and iterations. If given a choice, I take the earliest (1920-1930 era) Route. So far it is beyond my wildest dreams. It has it ALL... nostalgia, Americana, a sense of sacredness, history, travel, degradation, restoration and renewal, awkwardness (when you miss a sign!), trust, and adventure.
I have no idea where I am going... (except to California). I am trusting the road and its winding path through Smallville, USA, taking in the sights like old gas stations, drive-ins, ice cream shops, and Americana signage from the early to mid 20th century. The sights are ever present and it keeps your mind off of road drone. What I find interesting is journey itself... I've called this sabbatical a pilgrimage all along, but this portion truly is. It's not about getting to California. That's just the end game. It's about the experience of taking in all that this remembered piece of history leaves behind. 

I referred to the road as having a sense of sacredness... referring to that which is set apart for a religious purpose or dedicated to God. The way I have been riding Route 66 is just that... It has been with keen awareness, full of prayers of thanksgiving, with a little bit of a broken heart when I see the remnants of yesteryear left to return to nature. Sometimes I was riding right next to the original pavement of Route 66, and sometimes I was riding ON Route 66, and sometimes I had to go around because portions were closed and no longer passable. The sacred road just kept crying out for something. I was dedicating the road to God and even though it was very worn, it was renewing me in a way.
Life is a journey that mimics the ride I am on in a way. Sometimes the road is a clear path, right in front of you, clearly marked, and easy to navigate. Sometimes the road is a mess, bumpy with potholes and broken pavement.  Sometimes, the road is so deteriorated that it is impassable. And even sometimes the signs are missing and you don't know if you are on the right road or if you are supposed to turn.

I'm not much into predestination, but I do believe that God has put us on this earth for a purpose. That purpose is to get on the path, whatever it may be, and navigate it to the best of your ability, using the love that Jesus taught us as the fuel and listening closely to the Holy Spirit as the GPS. Sometimes we get off course and we need to stop and get our bearings. Sometimes the road that we are supposed to be on is bumpy, and has missing pieces. God gets us through it...

Challenge to Self: Continue to travel Route 66 to see what other places it takes me, and what else it will reveal to me.

Challenge to Trinity: Think about what ways you have been renewed in these few short weeks. Has something happened on your journey this summer that has you thinking about how God is working in your life?



Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)