Missouri on Route 66

Today (Friday) I road across the state of Missouri, from St. Louis to Joplin. Yesterday evening in St. Louis, it was nice to have dinner with a friend (Kelly Saveika) that I haven't seen since we were in high school. We have know each other since elementary school. Life has taken us in different directions, and we keep up on Facebook, but for a couple of hours it was good to connect in person.

Tomorrow I get to meet up with my former college roommate, Bill Fankhauser. Bill and I went to the Citadel together (Regimental Band - Class of 89). He and his wife have invited me to spend the weekend with them. So I ride tomorrow from Joplin, MO, through the little corner of Kansas to Oklahoma City, OK.
Connecting with friends from years ago really enlightens the journey. It's not just the road that I am on... It's not just the old towns and the interesting countryside of things from what was once the "mother road." It's the people... the lives of those who make up my life. I tell people that it is how I understand God. God is a God of relationship. God is in relationship with us, God's creation, and with God's self in the Triune Godhead... and we are in relationship with God and with each other. Being social creatures, we are incomplete without this "relationship."

To me, that's what Jesus is talking about when he says, "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one — I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (NIV John 17:20-23) This prayer to God for the unity of Jesus' followers means that our relationships reveal to others who we know God to be. We must be one, in love with God and with each other for life to work and be complete.

One of the biggest struggles for me on this trip is being alone. I am much more complete with people. But, even though I am an extreme extrovert, I do ok when I am alone. However, when I am alone, I get deep in my head... I think and rethink things, I second and third guess myself, I tend to plot and plan. None of this is conducive to unwinding and recharging, but it's present none the less, so I must deal with it.

Some of the really cool things that I encountered today was the US 66 State Park in Missouri. Look for it in the video. I hope you are enjoying the trip... I am!

Challenge to Self: to continue dealing with being alone and not get too deep in my head.

Challenge to Trinity: to figure out how to connect "differently." Is there a small group that has a ministry idea that we can launch? What about cards/visits to our home bound? How can we connect?

Comments

  1. You have my wishes for safety and deep discernment as you continue.
    Your comments on extroversion and relative discomfort with "getting deep in [your] head,' were quite interesting and timely. For those of us who, like myself, are quite introverted, there is no better place. In fact, the deep thinking and reflection that can only go on in that headspace is a theme I have been pounding into my children of late. In our world of instant everything, I would suggest, and in my experience have found, that spending time in that space is where one can greet inspiration and discovery of all kind. In fact, I believe, it is the only place where deep thought can take form, and then root deeply, firmly and with the conviction that comes only from deep examination. It is with this depth of conviction that we are best able to manage the stressors of life while not losing ourselves in the maelstrom. I will think of you trying to acquaint yourself more deeply, and become more comfortable with, this part of you, while I continue on my own road to push my boundaries outward to the less introverted side of myself. Perhaps we will pray for each other in our endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ellen. You may have misunderstood what I mean about "being in my head." What I meant for me, it can be a place of conflict with self. I love deep thinking and reflection if it is focused, but the "would have, could have, should haves" show up like random squirrls. For me, it's a distraction, rather than something worth root. I appreciate your comment. It will give me something to think about. Blessings, Ken+

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...and learning to tame the thoughts that interrupt us (the squirrels) is one of the greatest challenges as we all continue to muddle through, intro- or extrovert. (Didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you don't think deeply! You could hardly be a priest without some considerable thought!) After lots of practice, I can say that most of the time, I am mostly able to greet my squirrels, pat them on the head and send them on their way. They're cute, but, dang, they can sure derail us with their circular sprinting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

This Week!

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)