God's Paintbrush!

Today, I experienced the unexpected! I knew that the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert were in Arizona, but I didn't know where. Who knew they were on Route 66. In fact, I learned that Route 66 once went right through the Petrified Forest prior to it becoming a National Park and protected by the US Government. The ride in from Albuquerque, NM was great! I crossed the NM continental divide at 7200 feet.
 
I took a "detour" through the National Park and drove down to where 180 goes into Holbrook. It was beautiful. The pictures really don't do it justice. The colors were vivid. It really looked like God took out the paintbrush and said, "I think I will add some color here in the middle of nowhere!" I can really feel the climate changing. It's getting much warmer. I am looking forward to this weekend! I will be in Kingman, AZ and plan to see some folks that I haven't seen in a very long time!

My thoughts for today are on the glimmers of grace we see in the world. Like that of The Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, God leaves us signs that God is alive and well, and leaves us in awe and wonder at the creation around us. The scripture that comes to mind is Psalm 95. This portion of scripture is a canticle (The Venite) used at Matins (morning prayer) and recalls the wonders of creation, and God's majesty over everything.

Come, let us sing to the Lord; *
let us shout for joy to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving *
and raise a loud shout to him with psalms.

For the Lord is a great God, *
and a great King above all gods.
In his hand are the caverns of the earth, *
and the heights of the hills are his also.
The sea is his, for he made it, *
and his hands have molded the dry land.

Come, let us bow down, and bend the knee, *
and kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For he is our God,
and we are the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand. *
Oh, that today you would hearken to his voice! (Psalm 95:1-7 BCP)

I think we often take for granted the beauty of creation around us. I feel that saying the Venite at Matins helps me to remember to recall the wonders of God in creation and reflect more deeply on the beauty that is all around. The wonders of the land of just our country give us such an amazement so big our eyes cannot take it all in. I was unable to complete capture the tremendous beauty that I experienced, but hopefully was able to share a glimpse through the pictures.





Challenge for Self: Be constantly aware of God and God's presence, even in the small things.

Challenge for Trinity: Where has God shown up today? Is it in the beauty of creation? Is it in the smile of a young child's face? Is it in the neighbor who has blessed you with a greeting? It's there! All you need to do is look for it.


Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)