Up the Coast of California!

Yesterday (7/20) I set a course for the coast! Starting at San Francisco, I started up Hwy 1. I came to San Francisco via San Jose where I stopped in and visited the Manager of the Spartan Bookstore at San Jose State University, Jesse Nelson. Jesse and I went to Frederick and graduated in 1985. He and I roomed together Sophomore year and remain great friends to this day! It was great to catch up with him and have some lunch.
I went from San Jose through San Francisco to pick up Hwy 1. I got to cross the Golden Gate Bridge on my motorcycle! That was very cool 😎. Once I got through the traffic and got on Hwy 1 is was AMAZING! North of San Francisco I followed Hwy 1 up to Salt Point State Park.
Today, I went from Salt Point SP to Arcata, CA. Salt Point was COLD last night! It was good to get up and get moving this morning. I tried something a little different with the GoPro. I mounted it to the bike and shot video. I thought the scenery it revealed was awesome.

My thoughts are focused on the cold and the wind. This is the first time that I had to break out the heavier jacket and chaps. 45 degrees on the ocean front  is a bit chilly with the cross winds. It was wet and cold, but I was not miserable. I was able to endure because I had the proper equipment. It's hard to process all the beauty that I have experienced the last couple of days. Oh, and I got to drive through a giant redwood tree!!
 
Sometimes we go through life unable to fully comprehend everything that we are supposed to. That's ok. I think that we should at least try, rather than quickly jump to a conclusion or "make up our mind" about how something should be. The beauty of the ocean around the bends kept my mind off of being cold... and yes, I was cold (not cold enough to break out my electric gloves, but still cold). 

Within a church community, sometimes our one or two negative experiences will keep us from delving deeper. The cold will literally chase us away from being able to see the beauty of the scenery and the experience of the fullness of community. Church is messy and sometimes cold and negative, but much less than it is healing, reassuring, loving, nurturing, and supporting. The blessings of community are revealed more often as people are more engaged, involved and participate. Churches are not country clubs for saints... churches are hospitals for sinners. They're as broken as the people that are in them.

The scripture that comes to mind is about revelation. "He reveals mysteries from the darkness and brings the deep darkness into light." (Job 12:22 NASB) In Christ there is full comprehension. In Christ there is full reception and understanding. And only in Christ there is a full acceptance of the brokenness of this world.




Challenge to Self: Continue to process the beauty of life that I have experienced, letting things come into the light that were not realized before.

Challenge to Trinity: What is in the darkness that needs to be revealed? Is the "cold" keeping us from seeing the beauty in things? Are we in a place of security where we can put on the heavier jacket and keep going up the road?




Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)