Thinking about God while keeping my feet (& wheels) on the ground!
Couple Days in McKinney, TX
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Yesterday (6/18) after a very long and HOT ride (100°) to the Dallas Fort Worth area of Texas. Yes, I cheated a bit. It would have taken 7 hours to “go around” on back roads away from the interstate (and possibly avoid some heat). But, I had plans and needed to arrive in McKinney, TX by dinner time so I took I-35 North 🤷♂️. I finally arrived in McKinney at 5:30 p.m. to stay with a long time friend, Susan Bastian. Susan and I met in California when we were camping next to each other in the summer of 1983. She was with the Gibbons family (Beth Gibbons Tripp to appear later in this story!) Susan attended Johnson & Whales Culinary Institute in Charleston, SC when I was at the Citadel. I was the “guinea pig” and sampled her new culinary creations. We lost touch, but reconnected on social media several years ago. She’s been a great friend for a long time. We went out for a special dinner when I arrived (she’s a foodie and a chef, so good food is what she does!). Today, (6/19) we went to German Night at her father’s retirement home restaurant.
Susan invited me to stay 2 nights so that I could catch up with another friend, Mark Monroe, today. He and his wife have 3 daughters who all live within the surrounding Dallas area. Mark and I attended Frederick Military Academy together. He graduated the year before me and was Battalion Commander (cadet COL) his senior year. Mark was one of my great friends in High School. We even spent spring break together in Houston, TX after his family moved there from Chesapeake, VA. Over the years, Mark has tried to introduce me to all things “Texas.” This time it was a Brisket Lunch today (6/19)!
One of the main intents of this sabbatical was to reconnect and renew the meaningful relationships in my life. As an extrovert, my connections to others are what recharges my batteries. Often, with my regular responsibilities, I don’t have time to tend important relationships. This sabbatical afforded me the time to make these important connections.
Jesus emphasized the importance of connection with others and with God. He modeled this through his interactions and relationships with his closest followers (the disciples), his teachings, and his actions. Jesus built strong relationships and practiced love and compassion as he actively engaged the world around him. Therefore, experiencing the fullness of human relationships is one of the most Christ-like things we can do. I am blessed to have so many folks from throughout my life that still mean something to me.
Challenge to St. James and Self: Think about the 5 most important relationships in your life (beyond your spouse, children, grandchildren, etc.). Think about why they made your list and what you learned by having them in your life.
Cibolo, TX to McKinney, TX
Ride: 291 Miles
Reading: Leading on Empty by Wayne Cordeiro
(I haven’t informed an opinion yet. I’m only a chapter into the read)
Yesterday's ride was awesome. I reached a milestone! - made the 1/2 way (mid-point) at Adrian, TX. For Route 66, this means I'm 1/2 done (or 1/2 started the mother road!). Still not too warm, but I can tell the landscape terrain and the climate is changing, as well as the elevation. Lots of buttes and hills as well as flat stretches. Things are getting a bit dryer! I stayed overnight at Santa Rosa, NM and witnessed my first western sunset in a long time! It was absolutely beautiful. Today I contemplated going straight into Albuquerque, NM, weaving in and out of the frontage ways of I-40, on the post 1937 Route 66, but decided to trek into the old historic city of Santa Fe, NM. For Route 66, this is "the OLD ROAD" portion the Old Route 66 (1926-1937) up through Sante Fe, New Mexico (aka the Santa Fe Loop) . Much of the original road is dirt, and impassable... and much of it runs on what is now private property. Nonetheless, the Route is still there (replaced by ...
Today I road from Monterey to Bakersfield, CA to the home of Jerry and Ruth Greer. Jerry and I worked together at NPTU Charleston. He was actually my supervisor in Radiological Controls Operations. The Greers and I have stayed in touch over the years, and they offered me a place to stay. I had to ride inland from Monterey because of the fires and slides. The PCH was closed at Big Sur. It was great to be with Jerry & Ruth and catch up with them. Jerry retired from NPTU in 2007 and moved to Utah then to Bakersfield. He and Ruth grew up in Bakersfield. The Ride today went from 52° and hazy/overcast on the coast to 98° inland. Started off in my leather jacket, ended up in my riding shirt. Today I was thinking about the past and how our experiences shape who we are. Jerry & Ruth knew me in my 20s, at a very different time in my life. They attended our wedding (Kelly & I). Jerry and I had our troubles and differences of opinion, but he always encouraged me to be the be...
Today was WARM!!! It got up to 122° at the “heat of the day.” I stayed on 66 through the long stretch of the desert until I ran out of road! 😳 Rt. 66 was CLOSED at Kell Baker Rd. East to Essex for bridge repairs. I had to take Kell Baker Rd. North to I-40 and back to Rt. 66. Just added frustration to a very hot day. The day stayed tolerable with my “cooling vest” and lots of water. As plain as the desert is, it has its own beauty. There were no meetups today. Yesterday’s abundance made up for it. However, tomorrow I plan to see portions of my family who live in Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, I rode off of Rt. 66 up to Laughlin, NV and stayed overnight, preparing to ride to Vegas in the morning. I stayed at the Tropicana Laughlin (yes, a casino) that offered a very reasonable rate for a very nice room. The thing that had me “stunned” today was the road closure that I didn’t expect. Life sometimes throws us “road blocks” for one reason or another. Today’s reason was so that they could make r...
Not really. But, wouldn’t that be pretty cool? I rode yesterday (6/21) (through the horrible cross-wind! 🌬️) to Dodge City, Kansas. Dodge City has a pretty interesting and somewhat sordid past. Most folks know Dodge City by the famous TV western “Gunsmoke” which aired from 1955 to 1975. That’s a long time for Martial Dillon, Ms. Kitty, and Cletus making sure things around these parts were kept respectable. As I said, the ride to Dodge was 85% fighting the 25-30 mph crosswind gusts that wanted me to change lanes! A bit scary at times, but manageable. It was warm toward the afternoon 95° and a bit dusty, but hey, I’m deep in the west now and expect things like that. This morning I attended worship services at St. Cornelius Episcopal Church (ca. 1898). I walked in expecting Holy Eucharist, but experienced a Rite II Morning Prayer. Supply priests in this part of the country are as rare as they are in East Tennessee. The Morning Prayer service was led by a lay person who just happens ...
Before embarking on my pilgrimage, Kelly and I decided to spend the weekend in North Carolina. My maternal grandmother is 96 years old and lives in Edenton and my mother and father live in Hertford, NC. It is so tough to get down to see them because of my work schedule. So, Kelly and I thought that it would be an important part of my journey to go down and connect with family. (After all, it was Father's Day weekend and Friday was my sister's birthday) At Trinity this past year, we have claimed that we are "ONE family under God." I have spent the better part of that year trying to decide what that means. Family is sometimes a messy conglomeration of personalities, ego, and ideas about what is good, bad, normal, and not normal. Families grow together and apart... but the one thing that keeps it all together is love. Love gets us through it. The scripture says, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor...
Today (7/17), I crossed what has got to be the HOTTEST 🔥 part of the United States, the Mojave Desert! I was a little scared and anxious about crossing the desert... I lot more than I let on. I had heard horror stories about taking extra water and gas and being prepared. All I was worried about was the bike breaking down or me getting heat stroke or something. I was very careful, and even stopped at the oasis that offered fuel for $5+ a gallon and water for $4 a liter! Capitalist economics of supply and demand at its best! Thankfully, I didn't need fuel, but did take them up on the ice cold $4 liter of water. The cooling vest I purchased in Henderson, NV worked wonders! I actually felt like I was wearing an air conditioner. The ride was hot, but good. The bike did great. I did great... I drank more water than I wanted, but remained hydrated. Preparation paid off. Points of civilization included the Oasis (the only service for 50 miles on either side), Neddles, Ludlow, Barstow, a...
Yesterday (Saturday 7/8), I rode 66 from Joplin, MO through the "corner of Kansas," 1/2 way through Oklahoma to Oklahoma City (actually Moore, OK) where my friends, The Fankhauser's, live. Bill Fankhauser was my roommate sophomore year at The Citadel, and we haven't seen each other since 1989. He recently retired from the USAF and now works in the private sector. Catching up with Bill and meeting his family over the past couple of days has been fantastic. Saturday evening we went into Oklahoma City and ate dinner then walked along the riverwalk. It was a very nice evening. This morning (Sunday 7/9), I attended Mass with the whole Fankhauser family at St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church in Norman, OK. It was very encouraging for me to be staying with a family who goes to church together after we had breakfast as a family. (And no, this wasn't because of me being there) Worship is a regular thing in the Fankhauser house... regular attendance at Mass,...
Comments
Post a Comment