The 4th of July with the Millers

On Monday 7/3, I went from Grand Rapids, MI up to Muskegon, MI and caught the Lake Express ferry and rode across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee, WI. This was a first for the Road King! I had to tie the bike down to cleats on the deck of the ferry so that it wouldn't fall over should we reach rough seas. The ferry ride was 2.5 hours, but I gained an hour as I went across because I changed time zones. I arrived in Milwaukee at about 11:45 central time and rode ~20 miles up to Mequon, WI. I stayed there with Kenny and Tania Miller, friends from North Carolina. Kenny and I served together in the Diocese of North Carolina and became good friends. That friendship has lasted through the past few years over a long distance (he serves in Wisconsin and I'm in Maryland). It was a light riding day (total ~ 75 miles).
Monday evening we grilled burgers and brats and told stories catching up outside on the patio. Tuesday was very laid back during the day, catching up on rest. We went to the fireworks display at Port Washington, WI. It was spectacular!

I was so thankful for calm seas coming over on the ferry. I've heard horror stories about the boat being tossed about and bikes coming loose! Things were smooth sailing... That got me thinking about the Sea of Galilee - Things weren't always smooth sailing for Jesus and his disciples. In fact, there was one time, recorded in all three of the synoptic gospels - (Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41, and Luke 8:22-25) that the disciples (even the seasoned fishermen) were afraid for their life because of a storm that came up all of a sudden. Jesus was sleeping on the back of the boat and the disciples were freaking out. The disciples woke Jesus up and Jesus rebuked the wind saying, "Peace, BE STILL!" All fell calm...

We all go through times that there are storms brewing and we are being tossed about... I still remember the bad storm that I slept through (or tried to sleep through) while in Ohio. Sometimes storms are more than water and thunder... Sometimes storms are responsibilities that come at us from all directions (financial, social, political, spiritual) and they get bigger and bigger and start to explode (like fireworks!) What we should do in that situation is call on the name of the Lord Jesus... and let his peace be our peace.

Challenge to Self: Don't stress about the storms in my life... Peace, BE STILL!

Challenge to Trinity: There are many storms that seem to rear their ugly head from time to time. The financial woes for many parishes have folks running around like the sky is falling. When we focus on the important piece (the Peace of Jesus) and bring his mission to the front, then the storm will subside! Peace, BE STILL!


Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)