Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)

But do I really feel the way I feel? 🎶 (thank you Marc Cohn - now I have that song stuck in my head!) Well, for me, it was more like "drying out in Memphis." Friday 8/11 was one of the most wet rides I have had. 250 miles in the POURING rain. I was soaked! Luckly the dry bag and the rain gear works. I was only going to stay in Memphis for the evening and head out to Sewanee on Saturday and spend the bulk of the weekend there. However, I was wet and tired, so I decided to stay for a couple of days - mostly to rest and dry out. I didn't take many pictures on the ride because it was so nasty.
I spent Saturday sleeping in and not riding. I walked to the local IHOP resturant for brunch and I just chilled... much needed. No, I didn't go to Graceland and I didn't see the ghost of Elvis. Let the poor man Rest In Peace.

On Sunday, I did attend worship at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion. Big Place! Lots going on. They have just completed a capital campaign for $7.5 million to expand and upgrade their facility. I felt like the "outsider" in the crowd. The service was a festive Rite II (prayer A) with a brass quartet because they were celebrating "Rally Day" and the beginning of Sunday School. The children went to "children's church" at the Gloria and returned at the peace. I remained incognito before, during, and after the service. I did not know the priest, but offered him a greeting from a mutual friend. After the service, there was a big carnival on the yard with food and games and fellowship. I guess I was expecting someone to notice that they had never seen me before and invite me to be part of the festivities, but that didn't happen. The worship was grand, but the feeling there was a bit cold. It makes me wonder if they judged me based on looks... (I did ride up on a motorcycle and was wearing clean jeans and a button up, collared shirt). I wonder if it me personally or just the way I didn't seem to fit-in. 
In Jesus' day and age, he chose his disciples from the riffraff of society... fishermen, tradesmen and of course the tax collector. They probably weren't well dressed and they maybe smelled a little funny. I at least had a shower that morning! I would hate to think that any church, especially one that seems so prosperous - and one in the south, would forget what hospitality is... If I were new to the that area of Memphis and were looking for a place to worship and participate regularly, I would probably keep looking! 

It warmed my heart when I prayed for Trinity that morning, knowing that the stranger that walks in those doors on Allegheny Ave. in Towson Maryland will be greeted with Christ's love and treated well. WELL DONE, Trinity Towson!


Challenge to Self: ALWAYS take time for hospitality, especially to newcomers.

Challenge to Trinity: Continue to welcome others with the warmness that you do and maybe start a newcomer's ministry that is purposely focused on welcome, engagement, and retaining folks who come to Trinity.

Comments

  1. Hebrews 13:2 comes to mind. Well put, sir.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

Weekend in Port Angeles (Turning Point)

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!