Over the Teton Pass (this time without snow! 😉)

I spoke a bit yesterday of my time in Idaho Falls, ID. Today I crossed the Teton Pass! That is significant to me because the last time I went over the Teton Pass it was in December 1989 in a blizzard in a rental car (Mercury Tracer) with bald tires. The story is... Lisa Montelongo and I decided to take one of our days off to go explore the Palisades and Jackson Hole. When we were eating dinner in Jackson and here comes the snow. We decided to look at the map and rather than backtrack our path, go across the mountains and beat the snow. That didn't work! Lisa's fingerprints are probably still in the dash of the rental car that we had. Even though I got to go over Teton Pass doesn't mean that I got to see anything. Today's trip was extremely disappointing. 


 

I think it was only disappointing because I knew what was on the other side of the misty haze. The majesty of the Teton Mountains is awesome. On a clear day, they jut up into the sky like they were just painted there. I was unable to get a good picture of any of the majestic mountains that I crossed over, so I found a picture of the Tetons for you to show you what I mean. (Picture from Truck Camper Magazine Website) I was able, in some places to almost see the tops of the mountains. 
  

Today's highlight was getting to visit with another friend, the Rev. Mary Erickson, who lives in Jackson, WY. She and I are in the same core group working on a Doctor of Ministry degree at Bexley-Seabury Seminary Federation in Chicago. I haven't seen Mary for a couple of years. It was good to meet Mary at J.H. Roasters in downtown Jackson and catch up for an hour or so. (Yes, I do know people everywhere!) Of course, you know that I couldn't miss stopping by Chester's Harley-Davidson while I was in Jackson Hole. Ironically Teton Harley-Davidson is in Idaho Falls. 



My thoughts today are on what can be seen and what cannot be seen. The haze and smoke from the fires have obscured what would have otherwise been breathtaking views from Idaho Falls to Rock Springs, WY. As you can see from the pictures, not all the views were bad. They just weren't as great as they could be. I couldn't help but think of the story where God puts Moses in the cleft of the rock because God's majesty and divine beauty were too much for Moses to look at directly. The story can be found in Exodus Chapter 33. 

One day Moses said to the LORD, “You have been telling me, ‘Take these people up to the Promised Land.’ But you haven’t told me whom you will send with me. You have told me, ‘I know you by name, and I look favorably on you.’ If it is true that you look favorably on me, let me know your ways so I may understand you more fully and continue to enjoy your favor. And remember that this nation is your very own people.” The LORD replied, “I will personally go with you, Moses, and I will give you rest—everything will be fine for you.” Then Moses said, “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place. How will anyone know that you look favorably on me—on me and on your people—if you don’t go with us? For your presence among us sets your people and me apart from all other people on the earth.” The LORD replied to Moses, “I will indeed do what you have asked, for I look favorably on you, and I know you by name.” Moses responded, “Then show me your glorious presence.” The LORD replied, “I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will call out my name before you. For I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose. But you may not look directly at my face, for no one may see me and live.” The LORD continued, “Look, stand near me on this rock. As my glorious presence passes by, I will hide you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and let you see me from behind. But my face will not be seen.” (Exodus 33:12-23 NLT) 

We want to see the beauty and glory of God. We want to see the beauty and glory of creation. Maybe that's why I was so upset about not getting to see the Tetons. I have been to Wyoming twice before, once as a teen with my parents and once as a young adult. I remember the majestic peaks. Maybe one day I will see them again. 


Challenge to Self: Look for that which cannot be seen and trust God's glory to be revealed when you least expect it. 

Challenge to Trinity: Look for the glory and beauty of God in the creation around you. Look for the glory and beauty of God in each other. It's there, but sometimes it may be obscured by some obstacle, either your own or it may be something else. 







Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

Weekend in Port Angeles (Turning Point)

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!