Ascending the Holy Mountain

Yesterday I rode from Memphis, TN to Sewanee, TN on HWY 64. Little did I know that it was the original route of the Trail of Tears - the forced removal of the Native Americans from the Southeastern United States to an area west designated as "Indian Terratory." The ride was beautiful and much less rainy than Friday's ride to Memphis. 
It's been 10 years since I graduated and 9 years since being back "on the mountain" or "on the domain" in Sewanee, TN - atop the Cumberland Plateau, where the University of the South resides on 10,000 acres. The DuBose lectures in 2008 was the last time I was back. There is something about the place that is awesomely mysterious. Even though I had been gone so long, there was a great and peaceful feeling that came over me when I crossed the domain gate and released my angel back into the wild. (See this on Sewanee Angels! 👼) The place is truly holy - set apart for God's purposes. I immediately went to the Chapel of the Apostles at the School of Theology and spent about an hour there in quiet prayer. 
It was good to be there. I was able to spend the whole day today, Tuesday 8/15, on the Mountian catching up with whoever happened to be there. I was able to see some of the folks in the Programs Center where Kelly worked while I was in school. I saw a few of my professors who are still there (only 4 remain after many retirements and deaths). All in all, the place was the same, yet different - or maybe it was me that was different... 

“After [Jesus] had dismissed [the crowds], he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was [still] there alone.” (Matthew 14:33; see also Mark 6:46) A question my bishop always asked me while I was in seminary... "how's your prayer life?" I've always thought that I had a decent prayer life, rooted in the daily office (prayer calisthenics for Christians!) In fact, my senior superlative (that I am quite proud of) was the one most likely to end up in the Lesser Feasts and Fasts for being a martyr for the daily office. I'm not sure why I was "noticed" for my devout keeping of the office, it just felt to me like the right rhythm.



Challenge to Self: Continue to maintain a healthy prayer life.

Challenge to Trinity: How's your prayer life? Do you routinely keep a daily devotional time? If you don't, you probably should. Is there a place you go that is your "prayer space?" If I were to start a "daily office" practice at Trinity each morning, would you be interested? Would you be interested in learning how to follow/read/lead the daily office (Morning & Evening Prayer)?

Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

Weekend in Port Angeles (Turning Point)

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!