To Kingston, TN then Kingstree, SC

Catching up with friends has become one of the big benefits of this trip. Not only have I ridden an epic journey across the US, but I have continued to connect with folks that I haven't seen in years. These aren't just anybody... At one time in my life, these were my best friends. The ride on Thursday 8/17 took me to Kingston, TN were I had a chance to catch up with Tracy Hanson. Tracy and I went to Frederick Military Academy together c/o '85. We were even lab partners in Chemistry class. It was fun to swap stories (she showed up with year books!) and meet her husband, Don. We enjoyed dinner at the historic "downtown" Jackson Square of the once "secret city" of Oak Ridge, TN. Tracy and I haven't seen each other in 32 years.
From Kingston, I headed southeast and stayed overnight in Spartanburg, SC on my way to Kingstree, SC. I arrived in Kingstree this afternoon at the home of my best friend at the Citadel, Mark Whetsel. Mark and I were the class of '89 and withdrew from the Citadel about the same time. Mark & Lee Anne and I have been friend for more than 30 years. I haven't seen them in 27 years. It was wonderful to catch up, laugh, and be around Mark & Lee Anne and their family. Their oldest and my oldest are just months apart. Like I have said before, the conversation just continues. It's almost like one of you just left the room for a few minutes (if you take out the fact that we are a little older, a little greyer, and hopefully a little wiser. Lee Anne spoiled me with her wonderful cooking, as she always had. It was fantastic to see them again and I hope to see them again soon!
The rides from Kingston, TN to Spartanburg to Kingstree, SC were beautiful. It was a little wet going to Kingston from Sewanee, TN but nothing like the hail in Colorado (so it's all relative!). As I was coming through mountians of Western North Carolina, I took I-40 (I know, Interstate = bad), but I knew that I would get plenty of great back road time when I meet up with Kelly in Boone on April 26th. I'm so excited, I can hardly wait!

I wish I could see everyone everywhere, but the weather has kept me to the north of my original intended route. Originally, I was going to drop down through Texas and go into New Orleans and then dip into Florida. The flooding rains convinced me that it may not be a great idea. I apologize to those who I was not able to visit this trip, and I promise that I will see you all soon.

Diverting plans is not an easy thing to do, but I have remained flexible enough on this journey to do that. If I wasn't flexible, I probably would have ended up in an area that was facing severe weather and flooding. Flexibility is something that the church needs to continue learn. Being able to go in another direction to deal directly with a crisis situation or respond to an emergent need would serve the church well. I read a recent article about flexibility in church (Found Here). It basically says that in order to prosper, the church must be flexible to accommodate growth so it isn't hampered. 




Challenge to Self: Remember that in order to grow, you must remain flexible. Don't compromise who you are or the mission that God has given you, but let go of the things that need to be let go of and adopt the things that need to be adopted.

Challenge to Trinity: How flexible are you? Are you willing to change / adapt to further the mission of the church? Are you willing to open up and try something that may be life-giving? Are you willing to stay steadfast in the mission that Jesus has given us?

Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

Weekend in Port Angeles (Turning Point)

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!