A Visit to Edenton, NC

Before embarking on my pilgrimage, Kelly and I decided to spend the weekend in North Carolina. My maternal grandmother is 96 years old and lives in Edenton and my mother and father live in Hertford, NC. It is so tough to get down to see them because of my work schedule. So, Kelly and I thought that it would be an important part of my journey to go down and connect with family. (After all, it was Father's Day weekend and Friday was my sister's birthday)

At Trinity this past year, we have claimed that we are "ONE family under God." I have spent the better part of that year trying to decide what that means. Family is sometimes a messy conglomeration of personalities, ego, and ideas about what is good, bad, normal, and not normal. Families grow together and apart... but the one thing that keeps it all together is love. Love gets us through it. The scripture says, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others. It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves. Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a NIV)

The bulk of the day was spent with my grandmother, Nolie. She is sharp as a tack, but much slower in her advanced age. We caught up and swapped stories of family and spending summers at my grandparent's home in Hertford. Much love was shared in that room in Edenton. 

   

Kelly and I spent the early afternoon in Historic Edenton, NC, learning a bit about the rich history of the area and their participation with the Underground Railroad, women's rights, and civil rights. I found it amazing that there was that much history in my backyard that I didn't even know. The Barker House museum was most interesting. Penelope Barker was a women who organized the "Edenton" Tea Party following the famous Boston Tea Party. She organized 50 women in 1774 to write a resolution to the King of England. This was the first documented political demonstration by women in the Americas. I understand that it was met with a laugh from the King, not giving any merit to a political action brought by women. 


By connecting with family, we learn how to love unconditionally. This is the same love that God has for us... Unconditional. That's why we refer to the Church (the community of faith) as family. As Christians, we show this love to the world in the way we treat others. Unless the marginalized are given a voice, they continue to be marginalized. That is why it's so important for the church to be involved in social justice issues. We help speak for those in society that have no voice, or have had their voice taken away. Thank God for people like Peneolope Barker, who used her means to help women claim their voice.

Be Blessed, Ken+

Challenge to self: Be stronger in my advocacy for those on the margins.

Challenge to Trinity: Think about how Trinity can help those on the fringes of society gain the voice they need to gain equality.


Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)