Sunday at St. Columba's - Boothbay Harbor, ME

It was a great morning at St. Columba's Boothbay Harbor, ME with the wonderful welcoming folks and their rector, a seminary buddy, the Rev. Maria Hoecker. Ironically it was Maria's last Sunday at St. Columba's prior to her sabbatical. She was able to score a Lily foundation grant for clergy renewal and will be gone for 4 months. I am happy for her and hope to follow her travels to Iona, Scotland, and England where she will retreat and engage in a study of Celtic spirituality.

   
I said that I wanted to pay attention and reflect on how I was received at different locations. The people at St. Columba's didn't know I was coming, nor did they know I was a priest. I wanted to blend in and be a visitor. I don't get to do that very often. It kind of scares me a bit... I was greeted with a warm smile and a welcome, the greeter/usher asked me where I was from. Like Trinity, they have "hand written" name tags so no one is isolated. However, they have a neat idea and have ones that have been "hand written" and reusable so there is no need to make a new one each week. This would be a good money saver for Trinity! 

I was a bit surprised when I walked in... very unconventional setup! It was a casual setting with tables everywhere. Then I heard them say something about how the tables were set up because the service was going to be immediately followed by a farewell luncheon for Maria. So, this wasn't a normal set up, but it worked. Typically the chairs are arranged in different way in different season for different worship purposes. This is a great modern liturgical feature for this young parish. The service was a conventional BCP Eucharist, Prayer C, spiced up with some music from the Iona community. They transferred the feast of St. Columba from June 9 to celebrate it today for the send off. I found the lack of Prayerbooks interesting, but it was ok because the entire text was in the bulletin. During the luncheon, a priest (sorry, don't remember his name) performed an original song about St. Columba. It was fantastic!

I found St. Columba's is an active parish that has healthy strong lay leadership. They were wonderful to worship with, even though it was a bit casual for my personal preference. I felt welcomed and included!

Maria's sermon today was taken from the Gospel lesson according to Matthew 10:24-39, especially the portion as it relates to fear. Jesus said, "“So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops. Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows." (NRSV)

Being completely honest, I fear walking into a new place for the first time. Now, most people know how extroverted I am, but only after the first experience. This made me realize that my extroversion may be masking my fear...  Hmmm... I need to think about that more. 

After the wonderful lunch at St. Columba's and some time with Maria, Chloe, and Max, I rode a loop around southern Maine. From Boothbay Harbor to Portland and back to Lewiston. Shout out to Kathleen, Cindy, Mark and all the J2A pilgrims from 2015... You will recognize something in the video! ;-)


Challenge to Self: I need to think more about what I am afraid of and then own it, name it, and let it go. (Thanks, Maria)

Challenge to Trinity: What do we fear as a parish or community? When we welcome others into our fellowship, are they afraid of us at first? Even if they don't seem so, do we make the effort to get to know them and who they are? Think about what our "hospitality" ministry might involve - newcomer welcome groups, greeters, fellowship hosts, etc...

Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)