I am Getting the Hang of This...

I am trying to do things on my sabbatical that take my mind off the millions of things I deal with in my normal routine. What I have noticed, so far, is that I am a creature of habit. I like routine. I appreciate rhythm. So, what happens is that I get into the rhythm for the task... Packing, riding, cooking, camping... it's all a process. What most people probably don't realize is that I like to camp. Kelly and I like to camp. Kelly grew up camping. I grew up camping (thanks mom & dad who are in there 70s and still camp). I also like to ride. However, motorcycle camping is much different. It's like fast backpacking! :) That's the closest description I could come up with. It is a it out of the comfort zone (intentionally). But, I'm getting the hang of it.
   
We do what we like to do, but we should always push the boundaries a bit... Get out of the comfort zone. I'm not sure it was easy for Peter, Andrew, James, and John to leave the fishing trade and follow Jesus. It was definitely outside of their comfort zone. What was really outside of their comfort was to go from town to town spreading the message of God's love for the world... God's love for humanity. Spreading the message of Jesus, God's anointed (the Christ) and teaching his ways of relationship, reconciliation, and re-creation. They were sent by Jesus to do just that...

 “Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."” ~ Matthew‬ ‭28:16-20‬ ‭ESV‬‬ (Note: this is the reading for Trinity Sunday - my last Sunday at Trinity prior to the pilgrimage) 

I will never forget 2 pieces of advice I received as a new ordinand ten years ago. Fr. Victor Mansfield, Rector (now retired) of my "home" parish at Calvary Episcopal Church in Fletcher, NC told me that the way to church health and growth is "BAPTIZE" and teach what it means to be baptized. The other piece came from Bishop William Gregg, who mentored me through some struggles in my initial years. He told me to "MAKE DISCIPLES." But not only to make disciples, make disciples who make disciples. Please understand that these two things were initially outside of my comfort zone, but they have helped me get the hang of being a priest. 

The ride today was supposed to take me to New Hamshire, but God has other plans! I ended up a beautiful place called Greenwood Lodge and Campites, a private family owned campground that was wonderful. Note: For those of you "concerned" - I got a GoPro Hero5 for Christmas. It hangs around my neck when riding and if I see something I like, I point the camera at it and press a button. It's safer than changing the channel on your car radio. I ride SAFE! All the gear, Hi-Vis (you see my ORANGE shirt?) Don't worry about  me! Pray for me, as I am praying for you.


Challenge to Self: Continue to push the boundaries and get out of my comfort zone. Let what I am learning about myself trickle into my ministry.

Challenge to Trinity: GO! Our church will only grow and succeed if we GO! Go out and live the gospel in your lives to the point that people will want to follow Jesus. Go out and bring others into the fellowship of the "divine dance" (those present on Trinity Sunday will get this!) Baptize and Make Disciples who will make disciples... Don't worry about the other stuff - it will work itself out.


Comments

Post a Comment

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)