Getting Ready / Preparation for the Journey

I now realize that preparation for a long journey is just as important as the journey itself. I have been preparing the trip, getting the gear together, making sure that I have the right amount of the right stuff. Kelly and I were talking the other night, and I expressed my worry about forgetting something. She reminded me that if I continuously worry about forgetting something, I probably will. I have used guidelines posted by other motorcycle riders and campers when making my list, so hopefully that will pay off.

I want to be "free" to experience the pilgrimage "by the Spirit," so I think it's important not to plan every segment of the trip. However, I have planned out a general route that begins here in Towson and goes North into New England then across the Northern US to Chicago then down historic Route 66 to California, Up the coast of California and then diagonally back across the US down through the Rockies toward Louisiana then down into Florida and head North toward home through the Appalachian Mountains taking the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.


My challenge during the pilgrimage remains to try to unplug from my responsibilities completely and find a focus in order to recharge. This will help me be ready to re-engage in ministry with the good people of Trinity Church in Towson, MD. Hopefully, it will also help me focus on my doctoral thesis. For an extreme extrovert like myself, some of the solitude that the pilgrimage includes will be difficult. Everything will be taken in stride - with God's help!

During the trip, I have planned a few things to help broaden and enrich the way I engage church. Some of these things include experience with different worshipping communities and churches. I hope to post my reflections and experiences here in this blog. I have also decided to engage a language study of Spanish. Duolino seems to be my program of choice at the moment. If anyone knows of a better/more comprehensive program, please let me know.

Tomorrow is Trinity Sunday and my last Sunday in the pulpit for 12 weeks. I stopped to think a minute this evening... I have been ordained for 10 years as of yesterday (6/9) and have spent the better part of those times preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ (or preparing to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ). It's really going to feel weird "unplugging" for that length of time. I am going to try to trust the sabbatical and definitely trust God to guide me through it.

Peace - Ken+ 

Comments

This Week!

Missouri on Route 66

Ohio!

God's Paintbrush!

Down to the South East Corner of Washington

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Seaside Monday!

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)