A Day In Dahlonega, GA - Day 3

May 4, 2022

We spent the day in Dahlonega, GA. Woke up VERY SORE with heavy legs. I had to shuffle to the other room. At breakfast, we met up with a man that was Ken's age who had spent the last year preparing, backpacking trips, and practicing and who had also come off the trail for similar reasons. He was having issues with heat exhaustion and extreme cramping. 


I didn't remember a fun fact until our shuttle driver yesterday reminded me. An old Army Ranger saying goes, "Sassafrass will kick your ass!" It refers to Sassafrass Mountian, which is the assent that we didn't make yesterday before calling for a shuttle. On the other side, the Army Ranger School is at the bottom of Sassafrass Mountain. Now, it all makes sense. 😦

We have spent the day walking around Dahlonega, trying to work the soreness out of our muscles. Ken took his pack to the Wilderness store in Dahlonega to have the woman evaluate his gear. Mostly he was in good shape. We could have both shaved a few pounds of the pack. However, I think that our lack of progress came down to the complicated truth of our own conditioning. Personally, I need to face the fact that I'm not 20 years old anymore and do not want to risk serious injury.

I have discovered some truths about myself from the AT experience: 
1. I love the outdoors, nature, wildlife, plants, animals, trees, etc...
2. I love adventure and challenge, especially trying new things.
3. I love camping, sleeping in a tent, cooking outside, etc...
4. I am not in good enough physical condition to hike the trail.
5. I have a profound respect for anyone on the trail.
6. I am not the first to wash out in the first couple of days, and it won't be the last.
7. I enjoyed every second on the trail with Ken, pain and all!


I think that we are going to end up calling it. We are both facing our own level of disappointment but are satisfied with the decision. I am happy with what I was able to accomplish. This next year will be devoted to getting myself in better condition by being more active. I'm not sure that I will attempt to hike the trail like that again, but I will camp near and take day hikes and enjoy the beautiful mountains.

The scripture tells us much about the wilderness. It talks about the dangerous and wild places where people didn't go to spend time. It talks about the wilderness as a place where the people of Israel needed to pass through as God led them out of Egypt into the promised land. The wilderness is also the place where Jesus was tempted by the evil deceiver. Wilderness can be a strangely wonderful memorizing place where one can challenge oneself and learn more than you ever thought you wanted to know. The wilderness itself is not bad but beautiful, rich, and fulfilling. However, the wilderness can eat you up if you're not ready.


After just two days on the trail, I thank God for everything I experienced. (especially for Ken and his corny humor as he threatens to push me down the hill and yell "shortcut" 😜) We are also very thankful for all the prayers and support we have received from our friends and family, especially Kelly & Gail. Kelly is coming down tomorrow afternoon to pick us up and bring us home. Ken and I will leave on Friday from my house to take him home.

I have the month of May off for vacation and will fulfill my vacation doing other things than the Appalachian Trail. I hope that I continue to remain grounded in the process.

Comments

This Week!

Weekend in Port Angeles (Turning Point)

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)

Monday with the Mohegans

Day Two!

To Albuquerque, NM via the Santa Fe Loop

Getting Ready for the AT