Getting Ready for the AT

We are less than a week out from Ken and I beginning our trek northbound on the Appalachian Trail. I think I have packed, repacked, shaken down, and prepped about 3 dozen times. We've been talking back and forth, getting excited about our journey, talking about food and gear and bears and trees (personal joke). 

I'm not sure I have many concerns. I am thankful that Ken will be with me. He has always felt like the older brother that I never had. We plan to go slow, listen to our bodies, savor the experience, and enjoy the trip. We have both wanted to do this for a long time, but I'm not sure we ever expressed it to one another. It was just brought up in a conversation about a year ago, so we said, "let's do this!"


"Going for it" is something that I have always done in life. If you read the 2017 Sabbatical entries in this blog, you will see that I love adventure. The journey then was epic, and this one, though shorter, will be just as epic.

I hope you will enjoy these reflections on our journey. 

In my thoughts on preparation today, my mind goes to Luke 9:3, when Jesus sent out his disciples saying, "Take nothing for your journey, neither staff, nor wallet, nor bread, nor money; neither have two coats." (ASV) I will guarantee you that I have a staff (2 trekking poles), bread, money, and a "puffy coat" for my journey. I'm not sure I could "shakedown" to apostolic standards for this trip. What I am taking fits into a 58L pack (26# base weight). Over the years, I hope I have learned to take only what I need. 

Your prayers of encouragement and safety are very much appreciated! I feel that Ken and I are well prepared. We are looking forward to this trek, and we will check in periodically, providing we have service.

Comments

  1. Blessings on your journey . God willing and the creek don’t rise, I’ll see at Blood Mtn, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs 3:5&6, God be with you both my sons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Godspeed, Ken. May your entire journey be in Kairos time 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

This Week!

Weekend in Port Angeles (Turning Point)

Getting Psyched! - Day 0

Walking in Memphis (for the Weekend)

Monday with the Mohegans

Missouri on Route 66

Day Two!

To Albuquerque, NM via the Santa Fe Loop